Writer’s note: I am so damn tired. Bad writing may be blamed on 28-hour travel times and Starbucks.
I am back in Phnom Penh. It’s nice to be back, and my awkward landing yesterday in the late afternoon had the world double-daring me to stay awake until a reasonable time. I sort of did that, with a slight blip in late afternoon and my super sexy open-mouth sleeping during a massage. At one point, the nice lady assigned to my half-dead body asked me to turn over onto my back. I said “ok, no problem” and then fell back asleep immediately. She had to wake me up again, I tipped well.
Naturally, I was awake early this morning. Not too bad, clocking in around 4am, and after accepting that more sleep was not in the cards for me, I staggered down to the kitchen to make coffee. I am so much like Tim Cook. I could have gone running or started working out or juiced or something, but I didn’t want to.
The hours before the rest of humanity is awake are so nice. Phnom Penh is a frenetic clown show, so the silence is something to be cherished and appreciated. It’s also the time of day when my brain works the best, which is unfortunate because I am not usually up at those weird hours, and I find myself reeling with ideas and motivation. Until about 10am, when I turn into a lazy extra from the Walking Dead. This was going to be a post with lists in it, not a rambling feeling-sy piece, so I’m going to give that a shot.
Things I do at 4am
- Lemon water. Someone (maybe Gwyneth Paltrow) told me to do this. I think it’s healthy.
- Coffee. I make as much as my body can handle without getting the shakes.
- Turn on David Bowie. I can’t even talk about how sad I am to lose this person in the world. Modern Love on repeat.
- Think seriously about changing out of pj’s, decide not to.
- Emails. My brain isn’t getting in my way just yet at this point and I like how I am writing. Also, when I am buzzy-tired, my feelings are right in my face, so they all come out all over everything. Take that, inbox.
- Breakfast. Three boiled eggs, a green juice, and more coffee. My life is full of glamour.
- Catch up on blogs. I took a break from these for a few weeks, mostly so I get this moment. I love catching up with Joy, Bri, Jo, Garance, Emily, Kate and all my other pretend friends.
- Download the Spendbook app, because damnit, I am going to budget in a better way this year.
- Stretch. My body feels older than it is, I blame 18-23 year old me for this. The noises that come out of my back could be sampled by Kanye.
- Look at new sewing machine, take off cardboard wrapping, stare at it, and walk away, a little bit scared.
Now it’s actual morning, other people are awake and I am considering joining the world outside. I have lunch with Tiff in a few hours, when we’ll get ou noodle on and get back to real life in a weird place.
Photo by me, pretty plant by @ktelge