I get migraines and I do not enjoy them. I am at the tail end of one right now, and it’s not my favorite.
I know when a migraine is going to hit because I start getting mad at sunlight and my right eyeball tries to crawl out of my face. Everything goes downhill quickly from there. I would get them randomly growing up, but since being in Cambodia, migraines and I hang out far too much, and I have lost too many days to those M-er F-ers.
The pain sucks, the sometimes-vomiting sucks, and the incapacitation sucks, obviously. What makes me crazy is losing my time. I usually have a few meetings a day, and when I get hit, I go down, and there isn’t much to do about it, aside from popping Excedrin, taking a hot shower and praying for unconsciousness. I cancel and reschedule, and people are very nice about it, but as a new designer, I hate being 5 minutes late, let alone canceling on a new client. It feels unprofessional and I hate flaking.
The good news is, I now have a game plan for when the Eye of Sauran attacks my brain:
- Take Excedrin. I want to send the people at Excendrin a gift basket for all the times their magic pills have saved me.
- Take a hot shower. Make this as hot as you can handle and point the water stream right on top of your head so that the evil brain juice, made up of all your bad decisions, guilt and lies, melts out of your brain. (I know it doesn’t work like that, but it feels like it does.)
- Sleep it off. Get to sleep as fast as you can, I find the fetal position and moderate crying help to speed up this process.
- Wake up, and eat Pho. Pho has magical healing powers and noodles make everything better. The spicy, salty, beefy life-nectar is crucial to recovery. If you can’t get pho, or you don’t eat meat, I don’t know what to tell you. Other soup probably helps, but I’m not willing to risk it.
- Try not to talk for a while. Not because it hurts, but when I am coming out of sea-monster migraine status, I’m not that fun, and not that nice.
- Stay away from screens. I am breaking my own rule right now, but this blog isn’t going to write it’s own unsolicited advice posts.
That’s pretty much it. I hope you don’t get migraines, unless you are one of the four people I am thinking of, and then I do. I really do.
To end on a happy note, here is a photo of President Obama and Anthony Bourdain eating Bun Cha in Hanoi. The only logical explanation for this is that they both read this blog (HAY GUYS) and are totally digging my post on Hanoi Street Food from a few weeks ago.
*Brushes shoulder off.